RE: Eating $$ (Over-Runs)

When I make a fee proposal, I include a detailed spreadsheet showing each
task, the expected effort categorized by class of employee performing the
work (i.e. Project Manager, Senior Engineer, Design Engineer, CAD
Technician, Secretary, etc.) and the categorical cost ($/hour) for each.

If during negotiation, the client says "oh, you don't have to do that, it
isn't necessary. Take it out," then I do not remove it, but put a line
through the item and zero it out.

This becomes a record not only of the agreed-upon scope, but of the scope
that was proposed but NOT agreed upon.

That way, if the client ever comes back with a case of "amnesia," and asks
for something that he requested be deleted during negotiation, I simply say,
"okay, so you want me to restore that scope item, and it will cost you thus
and such."

It has worked every time so far.