Re: Field Observations - Stupid things I've seen

Several years ago I worked on a repair for an apartment building.  This was a 3
or 4 story structure with TJI floor framing and wood framed walls.

1.  The blocking panels were not installed at the first floor causing buckling of
the TJI webs and shear in the chords where the webs attached.

2.  The plumber had used a chain saw on the TJI members cutting the bottom about
24" wide at least 2/3 the depth of the joist on about 4 joists in each apartment
on the main floor.  These were located approximately 3' from the interior bearing
wall.

3.  The apartment building was used by the contractor or testing lab when a
tunnel was constructed below the structure.  They used the 1st floor to store
soil samples.  The soil samples were not in the structure during the time of my
inspections, but I was told that they were stacked on the floor. (40 psf design
live load)

Jill T. Shuttleworth, P.E., S.E.