A question about UBC seismic

Title: A question about UBC seismic

I have a quick question about the UBC seismic provisions.  I am asking this since most juristictions in Michigan use the BOCA code...therefore I am not as familiar with the UBC.

This is in reference to the 1997 UBC.  If you are in seismic zone 0 (zero), do you have to do any seismic lateral load analysis for the entire building (i.e. simplified static lateral force procedure or static lateral force procedure)?  I have read through the code and see nothing that says that no calculations are necessary, but then there is no seismic zone factor (Z) listed in table 16-I for a seismic zone of 0.  The building will be an auto plant so it should be a "standard occupancy structure" (i.e. seismic importance factor of 1.0).  I know that for the BOCA code, no lateral analysis calculations would be required for the equivalent scenario, but there are some minimal detailing requirements.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, PE
Structural Engineer

SHG Inc.
500 Griswold Street, Suite 200
Detroit, MI  48226

Phone: (313) 442-8253       Fax: (313) 983-3636       Email: smaxwell(--nospam--at)dt.smithgroup.com