RE: TJI Rim Joist Vs. Cont. Blocking

   > I see that
   >it is an applicable shear transfer so long as the diaphragm
   >extends over the
   >top of the rim joist and the Rim Joist is adequately
   >connected to the sill
   >plate.

A little off 2x vs rim board & seismic aspect, but speaking to the
connection to the top plate:  At job visit last year, joists ran parallel to
a (2) story wall.  The rim board was toe-nailed into the top plate at about
12" o.c.  High wind suction sucked the lower level wall and rim board out
over 1' so you could see the stars while in the living room.  I contacted
Truss Joist MacMillan and asked what the standard recommended connection
detail was...I couldn't find anyone who knew of one.  They said they didn't
really have trouble with it before.

I had them install ladder blocking (glued to the floor above) at 4'-0" o.c.
for (3) joist spaces, toenail it into the sill and screw the sheetrock into
the blocking.  I suppose in normal situations a 2x4 block on the top plate
is used to transfer the load to the sheetrock (which I also specified).
That brings up the point, how much can one depend on sheetrock strength?  I
have seen sheetrock hold a garage gable end from blowing in while others
without it blew in (truss lateral bracing poked through), but I hate to rely
on sheetrock for any strength at all (except some shear), especially since
sheetrockers probably don't think of it as a structural system.  What do
others think about that?

Regards,
Ed