Re: Field Observations - Stupid things I've seen

I am sure that this particular plumber did not have a clue. It is often true
that a workman does not see (or want to see) the overall view of a structure,
but rather he (or she) only sees that there is something in the way and must
..... MUST..... get rid of it. If it is part of the structure is not of
concern to that very short sighted worker.

Construction activities must be coordinated by a knowledgable superintendent.
We have some, but not enough, in the field overseeing the work in the field.
If the job superintendent was trained to think about the big picture (the
forest rather than the trees) and had the engineering background that we as
engineers have (or should have) then there would be less screw ups in the
field.

The plumber (or HVAC, or electrician, or...?) would consider the structure as
something important, rather than his (or her) work the only thing important
and simply ask the superintendent (or engineer) what to do we would have less
of this type of activities with a chain saw cutting out structural members.

Unfortunately, there will probably always be the nitwit on a job that will do
something stupid. The solution is an observant superintendent and field
inspections by the engineer of record. The sub-contractor  should be forced
to pay to retrofit the job to maintain the structural integrity of the
building. Ouch! Believe me, the sub-contractor will remember that lesson.

Field check your jobs and do not hesitate to obtain proper corrections for
any structural deficiencies. The next Northridge is just around the corner.

John Ott