RE: Cutting a Glulam Beam

The bottom lams, depending on the code combination provided, may be a much
higher grade material with higher tension stress allowed.  If you can find
the grade stamp or if a certification was provided, you should be able to
determine what your critical tension lams (after removing the bottom lams)
would be.  I suspect that halving the span will probably work as it cuts the
flexural stress to ¼ of the original for a uniformly loaded beam and even
the lower grade material used in the interior lams should be able to sustain
that, but it would be wise to check.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Oakland, CA