Re: Cutting a Glulam Beam

In a message dated 6/29/99 10:37:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org writes:

<< One of my clients wishes to install a garage door to his two car garage.
 The header beam is too low and needs to be reduced in depth by about 4.5
 inches. One of the solutions proposed by the client's contractor is to
 remove the bottom three laminations and add a new post + pad  about
 mid-span. The current Glulam beam is 21 inches deep. It works as a 16.5
 inch beam for the reduced span.

 Question: Is there a problem if he cuts 4.5 inches from the bottom of the
 Glulam?

 Shafat >>

Have you recommended a sectional door mounted on the face of the GLB from
behind?
Theoretically, I think it would work, but realistically, I can't see the
contractor having the control to do this cleanly.

Dennis