Re: TJI Rim Joist Vs. Cont. Blocking

Thanks to all that responded. Tarek noted that the closest spacing for
nailing to the rim joist is 10d @ 4" on center. I belive this is true of most
TJI's as well. I encountered this problem with the TJS series open web joists
used in a commercial project I did. Trus-Joist informed me that the you can't
nail closer than 4" on center on the top chord. Fortunately, this worked out
okay for the capacity I needed but alerted me to some potential problems with
certain members in their line.
Here is how my friend handled the problem:

"Dennis.  Actually, [my Rep] called me from the job site to
explain this detail to me, how it was a standard construction detail done all
the time, yada, yada.  It still looks mickey mouse to me  and 2-10d box nails
aren't going to prevent rollover of the TJI's.  Besides, it's end nail
penetration into the top and bottom TJI chords-- the worst connection you
could have for wood  construction IMO.  I agreed to accept the Timberstrand
rimboard only if they added an upright 2x4 adjacent to the TJI, nail through
the TJI web and nail through the rimboard with 3-10d commons.  That ought to
hold it"

I thought she handled it pretty well.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Dennis S. Wish PE

In a message dated 6/30/99 8:26:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,