Re: sustainable design

wtca wrote:

> Mark,
>
> There is a program developed in Canada through Forintek called Athena that
> computes the life cycle environmental impacts of building construction. This
> is the type of work that I think you are after. There is also a CORRIM
> report that defines this very well also. I will forward your note to several
> people that I know to get you the help you need.
>
> If you have any additional questions please contact me.
>
> Kirk Grundahl
> Executive Director of WTCA
> http://www.woodtruss.com
> direct email qualtim(--nospam--at)msn.com
> The Canadian program remined me of that crazy Canadian Joseph Tsiburek, who used
to present building seminars here in the Pacific Northwest.  He emphasized that
a building was a "system", and it had to do a lot of things.  One of the things
I remember is:  "A building has to be:

		1. buildable
		2. durable
		3. maintainable

Pehaps the emphasis on durable and maintainable are what you are getting at with
regard to sustainable design.

Years ago I met a travelling technical representative for IBM. His job was to
visit service people in the field to find out what their experiences with
product servicing were.  That information was taken back to design.  In short,
the goal was to not produce a design that was very economical to build, but
might require a major and costly disassemly in the field to replace a 50 cent
part!

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness