Re: More questions about rigid plywood Diaphragms

In a message dated 7/2/99 9:03:40 PM EST, jbotch(--nospam--at)isp1.blissnet.com writes:

<<
 I'm going to try to ask the same question to this topic that I did last
 week, different wording maybe.  We're still all into the discussion of
 rigid plywood diaphragms vs flexible.  A little more to the point this
 time.  IS THERE A RATIONAL METHOD FOR CALCULATING THE DEFLECTION OF A
 PLYWOOD SHEARWALL WITH OPENINGS?  Is the reason there was no reply to my >>

A method for calculating the stiffness of a shear wall with an opening can be
done similar to that for a concrete wall with an opening  by using the strip
method and breaking the wall into subwalls.  The Type V residential house
problem in the SDM Vol. II  has an example of this, and also includes the
reduced stiffness since the wall sits on a glu-lam beam.

Michael Cochran