Re: Pendulum response

Andy,
The discussion of the dissatisfaction with the '97 code has been a main theme
of this list for over a year. So far, few members involved in the creation of
these codes (any and all chapters) have chosen monitor this list and help us
to better understand how to address "real-world" problems.
We are stuck, because if we do it wrong we are liable, if we use our
professional judgment, we are liable, if we interpret wrong, we are
liable.......
As you pointed out, SEAOC presented pristine examples of the code  using
basic rectangular structures. I asked a question on the list as to how to
model a U shaped building. A few engineers said I had to model the entire "U"
while others (me included) claimed that since plywood diaphragms lie
someplace between rigid and flexible, we should be able to break it into
blocks. In court who will win and who will lose??????

We need answers and I can not go back to my clients and tell them that I can
not figure this out nor can I get help from SEAOC. They will quickly go
elsewhere to the services of someone who does not care if it is right or
wrong, but is willing to take the retainer and fight it out with the plan
checker.

It's awfully late in the game to issue commentaries and examples. From what I
understand, we will have to wait until August for the Examples. Having seen
them, I'm not impressed since the wood examples are the same as those
provided in the Feb 98 seminar by Ron Nelson and Doug Thompson.

There are some suggestions comming down the road as to a simplified approach
- but I don't have all the facts yet. I am on top of this working with some
engineers who are not on the list and who have been talking with John Shipp
and Ron Gallagher.

I have a suspicion that in the next month we will start to see some suggested
short cuts or a new simplified approach.

The biggest questions for wood framing still remains - Is this really
necessary?

Dennis S. Wish PE