Re: Bruce Resnick's Question

Thanks Mike, I stand corrected.
Dennis

In a message dated 7/1/99 10:56:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
writes:

<< Dennis:

 While I don't use the 1997 UBC Simplified Static procedure, I would
 suggest that it is applicable to a wider variety of conditions than
 you suggested.  You said:

 > It is my understanding that the Simplified approach referenced in 1629.8.2
is
 > only valid in structures without irregularities - basically,
conventionally
 > framed structures that don't really need to be engineered (a dicotomy?).

 However, Section 1629.8.2 clearly states that the procedure may be
 used for any structure of Occupancy Category 4 or 5 that is either
 (1) not more than three stories in height, using light-frame
 construction, or (2) not more than two stories in height.

 My reading is:
 There are no restrictions with respect to regularity, ground shaking
 hazard, or application of the Section 2320 "conventional" provisions.
 For buildings of standard or miscellaneous occupancy (Table 16-K),
 three story structures satisfying either item 1.1 or 2.2 in Table
 16-N or shorter structures (one or two story) using ANY system in
 Table 16-N may be designed using the (conservative) simplified static
 procedure outlined in Section 1630.2.3.

 -Mike