RE: Sulfate bearing soil

James,

Call your local cement suppliers, and concrete ready-mix suppliers.  You are
probably not the first one to get into sulfate soils.  Ask if they have some
off the shelf mixes that were tested per ASTM C1042.  They will probably
have some F ash blends with Type I-II cements.

There is also an admixture called Durapoz that has shown to be very
effective in sulfate resistance.  Call Ash Grove cement for more
information.

Cement in general is scarce.  Type V is even more rare.  The last I heard
there was only one plant in the US producing a true type V.

Sulfates will migrate in the presence of water.  You might get lucky and
only have a spot or 2 that is the only source
of sulfates, but then again you might not be lucky.  Even the 0.20% is
categorized as severe exposure.

I would get my sulfate resistance in the type of cement, admixtures, and in
the mix design itself (low w/c ratio, low slump, uniform aggregate blend,
good consolidation, increased cover, etc.).

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company