Re: Bruce Resnick's Question

Dennis:

While I don't use the 1997 UBC Simplified Static procedure, I would
suggest that it is applicable to a wider variety of conditions than
you suggested.  You said:

> It is my understanding that the Simplified approach referenced in 1629.8.2 is
> only valid in structures without irregularities - basically, conventionally
> framed structures that don't really need to be engineered (a dicotomy?).

However, Section 1629.8.2 clearly states that the procedure may be
used for any structure of Occupancy Category 4 or 5 that is either
(1) not more than three stories in height, using light-frame
construction, or (2) not more than two stories in height.

My reading is:
There are no restrictions with respect to regularity, ground shaking
hazard, or application of the Section 2320 "conventional" provisions.
For buildings of standard or miscellaneous occupancy (Table 16-K),
three story structures satisfying either item 1.1 or 2.2 in Table
16-N or shorter structures (one or two story) using ANY system in
Table 16-N may be designed using the (conservative) simplified static
procedure outlined in Section 1630.2.3.

-Mike