'97 UBC - R values for structures with Pendulums

I understand the basics for using the lowest R in each direction based upon
the resisting elements. However, I can't agree that the entire structure
should be penalized when an block - isolated on three sides - is designed
using embedded columns at the side opposite an adjacent block.

Assume for the moment that the home was constructed with conventional
Shearwalls of plywood. The R used in the design would be 5.5.
A Patio cover (tile or composition roof) was built on the structure an the
pendulums were used to resist shear on the open side.  The R for this would
be 2.2
The code requires the entire structure in the direction of force resisted by
the columns, to be designed using the lower R value or 2.2.
I don't accept that, with the exception of the common wall between the patio
and the residence (assuming that the roof diapragm is framed separately) that
any other shearwalls will be substantially influenced by the stiffness of the
columns at the patio?

Therefore,  how do convince not only the building official to accept my
judgment when I can not prove it by rational analysis?

Dennis Wish PE