RE: sustainable design

   >What do you mean by "sustainable design?"  Please explain
   >it in non-ambiguous terms that means the same thing to everyone.  Is
this
   >design that is deliberately never finished so that the engineer will
have built in
   >continuous work on the same project?

No, I think that's more along the lines of a "sustainable career," i.e.
designing buildings near fault lines.  (Sorry, being from the Mid-West, the
whole concept is still pretty hard to swallow.)

Usually when I see the word "sustainable" with other words like "green" or
"agriculture," it's pretty clear the person is talking about methods looking
forward to the future in the light that our current impact on the
environment is not sustainable.  Being younger, I can't afford to ignore the
common sense in that line of thought...  Unfortunately, all to often, that's
about where the common sense ends and the mystical new-age and/or or
wide-eyed thinking begins.  It's then easy to cast it all off as hooey.

I don't think that the sustainable agriculture-type trends are enough really
to make any difference in the long run, however.  The system will proceed
roughly the same with or without it.  (Where it will proceed _to_ is another
argument.)

Having said that and excluded myself from the crowd that plans to save the
world with "sustainable" methods, I am comfortable to admit that I am
interested in the technologies Mr. Webster alludes to.  For instance, the
concept of using tensile structures with an air membrane, insulating shell,
is really fascinating to me.  I'd be excited to get involved.

Regards,

Ed Fasula