'97 Code Questions - Answers needed ASAP

Okay, I've asked this question numerous times and am getting the strong
impression that the majority of you are in the same boat as I am - simply
don't have a clue.

Assumptions:
1. Plywood diaphragms lie someplace between flexible and rigid
2. Can disregard gables, vaulted ceilings, hips, valley's, scissors etc.
Treat all as rigid (or semi-rigid).

Questionable Assumptions:
1. Since a plywood diaphragm is not entirely rigid, is it appropriate to
isolate sections (for example each leg of an "L", "U" or "V" shaped
structure) and analyze it separately? See next statement for justification.
2. I would assume that you can not make a rigid connection out of wood
members without full embeddment and, therefore, each leg of a non-rectangular
structure will exhibit some non-calcable deflection that makes it act like a
hinge. If this is true, than only continuous diaphragms where the direction
of framing, continuity of overlapping plywood (staggered load case I) should
be considered rigid - all others considered the joint between continuous
beams.

Let's make some definate decisions here!!!!!!!!

Suggestion 1. Buildings with diaprhagms at different elevations that transfer
shear through cripple or pony walls can be broken into blocks and modeled
separately.
Suggestons 2. Non-rectangular wood buildings with plywood diaphragms should
be considered "hinged" at the junction of each "leg" and allowed to be broken
down into blocks (or provide a means to calculate the stiffness of the
intersection of the legs to resist rotation and calculate the deflection of
each leg).

I, like most of those in practice, are trying to resolve these issues as we
work through existing projects that need to be completed in a reasonable
time. There is simply not enough published information to justify the intent
of those who created this section of the code as to how it applies to wood
framed structures. The methods are fairly consistent with masonry and
concrete structures and does not represent such as major change. However,
wood structures have never been modeled in this manner and offer too many
creative assemblies to apply such a generic and limited code.
Inasmuch has been adopted, we need to resolve these common yet creative
problems in the most expedient manner. It is not reasonable for SEAOC or ICBO
to make the community wait while Seismology committee or the wood committee's
try and work out a solution that should have been considered a long time ago
and ready by July 1, 1999. This is simply unacceptable to our clients, many
of whom are paying interest on borrowed money while we sit back and debate
issues that should have been resolved.

I urge SEAOC and ICBO to either Rescind the compliance of this code and roll
back to the standard of practice prior to this code (and don't debate the
wording of the '88 and '94 code which was never used for wood construction
even though it did exist in wording). Otherwise, I urge you to address the
problems faced by the majority of us in real world design problems.

Dennis S. Wish PE