Re: Engineers LOW PROFILE

Some people like "titles," others don't.

Some people who like "titles" get a title instead of a pay increase, and they
are satisfied with that.  The worst title to have is, "Manager of Special
Projects."  This is the position that you are put in when they can't fire you
and they want to put you in a position where you can do the least harm, so
they give you a good sounding title.

I don't know any attorneys that are addressed as, "Attorney" or "Lawyer"
so-and-so.

I know Ph.D's who sign their name, "Dr. John Smith," but you don't know
whether they are Ph.D., M.D., O.D. J.D. doctors or doctors of mixology.  You
don't know if they got their "Dr." title from a diploma mill or not.

I know a Congressman that I call, Jim.

I know a Judge that I call, Jack.

I would rather be known by the caliber of work that I do, than by the badge
that I wear.

A "title" and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, maybe.  A dollar without
a title will still get you a cup of coffee, maybe.  When you or I put our
hand in a bucket of water and pull it out, it doesn't leave a hole.

I know junk dealers that make more money than an engineer can imagine making
and don't opt for a title.  They are called, "junkmen" and I can see them
crying about that all the way to the bank.

There is no royalty or elite in the United States or Canada.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Alfonso S. Quilala Jr. wrote:

. > Then I think,  If people are satisfied of being called their name then
. > engineers should stop complaining about why attorneys and doctors are
. > paid more, and are more recognized, and have better social status.