Re: Engineers LOW PROFILE

Roger,

You know that I'm not after the titles of royalty.  You are so unfair to
excerpt some portion of my letter without responding to its whole meaning.
Then you try to cite a very extreme example.

Let's face it.  People are judgmental.  As the saying goes, first impression
is lasting.  If you introduce me to your judge friend and I happen not to
like his physical appearance how would I know that he is intellectual?  But
if you tell me that he is Judge Jack right there and then I will have an idea
who he is.  I will know that this man in front of has work hard to becoming a
judge. If you are intelligent, you know what I mean.

Next time if you cite an example try to compare apples to apples.  An
ordinary engineer I suppose earn more money than an ordinary junkmen.  But
this is not the gist of discussion anyway.  What engineers are complaining is
there no recognition of our profession.  And I suggested that we start by
addressing ourselves Engineers. Somebody suggested that we should not use
title but let's educate the public instead.  But calling ourselves Engineers
is the first step to educating the people. If they are aware that there is
Engineer among them then they start asking what do engineers do.

>From my personal experience,  I have been a member of group for about 3
years.  On my first year, nobody know that I am an engineer. I have been
writing P.E. at the end of my name but nobody knew what P.E. means.  When
someone, whom I used to know back home , joined our group, he started calling
me Engineer and everybody in the group  started to ask me what work I do as
an engineer.  That when I started educating them the work that I do.

Another experience I have is that, before I got my P.E. license,  I was not
paid much even though I doing the work of an engineer.  But when I passed my
P.E. exam, I got 75% pay increase.  So it pays to be recognized.

Engr. Alfonso S. Quilala Jr.

(Instead of Alfonso S. Quilala Jr., P.E.)