Re: Engineers LOW PROFILE

works.

Alfonso does have a point, however, in that it could be helpful at
introduction time to know what "status" or "location"(better word anyone?)
in life the stranger before one has.  This is critical, for example, in
Japan where knowing the other's status at the time of introduction
determines the appropriate language and level of familiarity acceptable in
the ensuing conversation(s).

The US constitution has it written that "no person shall use, or be given,
any title of nobility whatsoever".  Therefore such as "Your Honor" etc are
constitutionally outlawed are they not?  "Judge", "Doctor", "Architect",
"Engineer" and so on, are not, as far as I understand it, titles of nobility
in this sense.  They should be considered more a succinct description of a
person's assumable measure of success and competence.  Recognition of one's
standing does not always mean pompous arrogance.

I am sometimes the brunt of the usual ranting that contractors/developers
occasionally give to engineers, and at those times I wonder if I deserve it
or whether in fact the individual is grossly ignorant of the sincerity to
contribute to the design and construction effort.  Then I would wish that
engineers did get the docility afforded to the other professions.  We are
often treated as trades, yet are also expected to take on signatory
responsibility not found in other professions.  That alone deserves a
respect not accorded other professions or careers.

As for "slimy" engineers...it's hard to be slimy with numbers or engineering
judgement...there are of course "unethical" engineers are there not?

Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada
vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com