Standing Seam Metal Roof

Our local soccer association is building a new 2-story building for
concessions, restrooms, storage, etc.  Originally we were going to use
shingles but now we are considering a metal roof.

We will have wood trusses with plywood decking, but I would think that we
would also need some sort of a 1x or 2x purlin system so that the metal roof
fasteners will have adequate material  to fasten to.  Is there a better
solution?

David Finley, P.E.