Re: Engineers LOW PROFILE

> Lawyers and doctors are addressed as Attorney and Doctor respectively while
> engineers is simply Mister, like an ordinary older person.  In our country,
> an engineer is addressed as Engineer, not Mister.  This indicate your status,
> socially or professionally.  In this country,  they don't even know what is
> P.E. at the end of a registered engineer.  I have been asked so many times by
> people who have been here troughout their lives and people who are in the
> construction industry

Why is it that there are no "lawyer" or "doctor" copycats?  For example
you can find:
	Sanitation Engineer 	(Garbage Man/Woman)
	Building Engineer  	(Custodial Staff)
	Computer Engineer	(6 Month ITT graduate - Although at least they have
some training)

Need I continue?  This is part of the problem with our profession.  In
many states it is illegal to call yourself a doctor or a lawyer without
meeting specific requirements.  Similarly, many states have laws
relating to calling yourself an engineer.  Why are none of them
enforced.  I have come in contact with all the professions listed above
in last week, and not one of them had any qualm about calling themselves
an enginner.  So what did the sanitation engineer sign and take
responsibilty for?  As for respect, that comes from the person - not the
title.  There are many doctors that I have no respect for and many
tradesmen whom deeply respect.

P.S. After what lawyers have done to this proffesion (and many others) I
would hate to think anyone would consider lawyers higher on the
evolutionary chain....

Jake Watson, (proudly) E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT