ASCE

I am paid staff of ASCE, but am also a Member.  I must agree with Stan that
we, as professionals, are the only ones who can change the image of
engineers.  I personally believe that the designation of Fellow is a symbol
of excellence and that all Fellows deserve the respect of the profession and
society.  We need to promote that designation even more to the general
public.  Stan mentioned FAIA.  These letters are common to many lay people.
We need to assure that not only the letters P.E. are recognized and are
understood, but also that FASCE implies an even greater level of
achievement.

I joined staff a few years ago because I believed that ASCE was an important
part of my career.  As a young engineer, I looked up to the Fellows because
they had made important contributions to our profession.

As a Fellow, you may not get tangible cash benefits, but you will get my
respect, the respect of many other young engineers, and hopefully, the
respect of the general public. Plus, ASCE staff tends to be more responsive
to you:)

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of service,

Sweating in DC, but glad I'm no longer in Houston...  Patty

Patricia S. Brown, P.E., M.ASCE
Manager, Architectural Engineering Institute and the Construction Group
American Society of Civil Engineers
1801 Alexander Bell Dr.
Reston, VA 20191
pbrown(--nospam--at)asce.org