97 code

I would like to read comments
about how is the Architectural community
reacting to the 97 code specially the seismic chapter.
In my case, Architects are crying for the height to width ratio.

On another note, we are not using shear walls higher that 8d at 4" o.c.
so that we are not required to used 3x. I have  been reading about the
shrinkage problems that 3x are causing.  I am finding myself calling out
"hardy frame" or "strong wall" as my shear resistance system.

Thank you for any comments

Francisco Duarte