FWD: MWFR for Multiple Gable Roof

See ASCE Transactions, Vol. 126, 1961, Part II, page 1162, for wind forces on
a sawtooth roof.  (Based on wind tunnel tests for the Swiss Building Code.)

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff Fisher wrote:

>>I am working on a BOCA Building Code design of a large industrial building
with a multiple gable roof ( ^^^ ).  I am trying to determine the
main-wind-forces on the gables to determine the total lateral loads.  As far
as I can tell BOCA doesn't provide much guidance for this situation.  ASCE
7-95 addresses this situation for components and cladding but not for MWFR.
Initially, I thought I should use the external pressures for a single gable
roof and multiply that lateral load by 3 (3 gable roof) to get the total
lateral load on the roof, but that seems a bit conservative.

Details of roof: the roof consists of three gables in a row - starting at the
edge of the building going 30 feet horizontally into the building is the
first ridge 17.5 feet above the edge (eave), going another 30 feet
horizontally into the building is the first valley at the same level as the
eave, going another 30 feet horizontally into the building is the second
ridge 17.5 feet above the valley, going another 30 feet horizontally into the
building is the second valley, going another 30 feet horizontally into the
building is the third ridge, going another 30 feet horizontally into the
building is the other edge of the building (other eave).

If anyone can provide any information for me as far as how to analyze this
structure or where I can find information on how to analyze this structure, I
would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks...<<