Re: Wood Design - 'G' shearing Modulus & 'E' elastic Modulus

Chuck
I couldn't agree with you more - however, I am not ready to close up my
office an until this gets resolved I have no choice but to try and digest
this c*!p.  As to my question:
1. The diaprhagm deflection analysis requires the user to input the area of
the chord. I assume (as I have for most wood structures) that the chord is
the double 2x plate at the top of the wall. Conviently, the design example
uses a 2x4 as the area of the chord (not a double, but a single plate).
I don't remember specifically specifying the grade of lumber used for the top
plate of a stud wall, but I know that it would not be more than #2 Lumber
(Kiln dried) here in the desert. More likely it would be the same material
used in the walls - either stud or construction grade. At any rate, the E
value used in the example is not realistic for a stud wall construction. I
don't really care if the example is not intended to suggest an E value to
use, but I would appreciate it if the author of the example does not make us
wonder why he is using a #1 or better grade lumber in a stud wall. This is
not typical in residential construction.

2) The examples pay particular attention to determining the effective
thickness 't' of the plywood panel - which varies in Structural (5-ply) and
non-structural panels as it does in Sanded an Unsanded finishes. I would also
assume that to be accurate (and to avoid liability) it is not unreasonable to
assume that the majority of diaphragm materials used will be OSB and that
they will not have the same effective thickness even though they are rated
the same in shear.

So, Chuck, my friend, don't pull my chain at 11:45PM as I struggle with the
poor examples that are suppose to make us all digest this garbage. I have
five custom homes to complete, clients who don't give a rat's butt if there
was a code change and aren't going to pay more just because "engineers are
trying to line their pockets" by creating codes that nobody else can contend
with (not even the engineers).

JUST TELL ME THE DAMN "G" & "E" VALUES FOR OSB!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to bed.......

Dennis