Re: Plane impact design

> Does anyone know of a good source on the analysis of a
> structure to airplane impact loads?
> >
> > There must be a paper somewhere on the Empire State Building.
> >  In 1946, a B-24 (?) flying in a fog plowed into the 84th (?) floor of
> > the Empire State

 			THE UMPIRE BUILDING STRIKES BACK!

Must have had adequate IN PLANE Shear Capacity (designed by AirplaneStressDesign
method); but I wonder if the designers also considered the chance occurrence of a
KING KONG Live Load, at the moment of impact, during an earthquake?

I bet there's something available in Hong Kong, they have such a strange approach
path to the airport, and lots of tall buildings.

Sounds like a momentum/energy problem to me.  We know from Northridge/Kobe that
buildings can have mid-story collapses.  So would need to guard against that.
Seems like fire/explosion following impact could potentially be even more cat-
astrophic.

Try the Tall Buildings Structural Design Council (search WEB), or the USAF.

MAY THE FORCE NOT BE WITH YOU

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness

PS  As a pilot we were always trained, for emergency landing:

   "Try to Hit the Softest, Cheapest Thing as Slowly as Possible!"

  So it would help if you knew the type of aircraft you wanted to protect against.