Re: 97 code

In my opinion, it would be valid to use a double 2x plate if both plates were
spliced by nailing (as the double top plate of a wall is, and the panel
nailing is divided between the two plates to as to stagger the nails and
uniformly pull against the edge of the plate.
I suppose some will disagree, however, I have made repairs to accmplish the
same purpose where the bolt hole was drilled oversized and added a tight
block above the plate and made the connection between block and sill.

I have had no trouble with contractors when specifying 3x PT plates. I
suppose if you have to use a double 2x you could or try to find a PT 4x plate.

Dennis