Masonry Spec.

Francisco,

CMU:  ASTM C90-98, Type I [for moisture controlled units; if non-moisture
controlled units are permitted, specify type II.  Grade N has been dropped
from the spec long, long ago.]

Reinforcing:   ASTM A615-96a, Grade 40

Mortar:  ASTM C270-97a, Type S, Proportion Specification [This is the way
they will mix it, so many bags of portland cement, so many parts of bags of
lime, so many shovels of sand.  I prohibit the use of masonry cement or
masonry mortar.  Since you are not having special inspection (using half
stresses) property specification is not necessary.

Grout:   ASTM C476-98, Coarse [If your grout space it tight, and it shouldn't
be, you would want to specify "Fine" instead of "Coarse."

Be sure to specify mechanical vibration of the grout cells.

If you are using joint reinforcing (Dur-o-Wall) you will need to specify
that. (ASTM A951-96 type: ladder, truss; wire gauge, etc.)

Masonry code is for design, not for construction.  You want to specify
construction requirements unless you are having the contractor do some
structural design (not recommended).

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Francisco Durate wrote:

>>Help, help, help...

I am working on my first masonry design project and I do not know
exactly what to write down as my masonry specs. other that
compression strength of 1500 psi  <---This is design requirement,
                                      not constuction.  See ASTM C90.
Special Inspection no required
Grade N Blocks
Type  S Mortar
Grade 40 reinforcing steel ASTM A615
Grout solid all cells

I think I'm missing some info. in term of Masonry Code Requirement <<