HP 1050C vs. Arch. Desktop

To all you CAD experts:

We just bought an HP 1050C plotter to use with our CAD system.  We are
running AutoCad Architectural Desktop, which is an enhanced version of
AutoCad Release 14.  We are having some problems with the printer drivers.
We have been told to uninstall Desktop, uninstall R14, then install the HP
R14 drivers, then reinstall R14, then reinstall Desktop.  This seems
ridiculous.

Has anybody out there fought this battle yet?  I'd appreciate your war
stories.

Thanks,

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.