RE: Plwd: Rigid Diaphragm Analysis - Opinions Wanted

The simplified method is exactly the same as the normal method except
that the following requirements not not be checked or preformed:

SECTION 1630.1.2:	Modeling Requirements
SECTION 1630.1.3:	P-Delta Effects
SECTION 1630.2.1:	Design Base Shear (non-simplified) (still
applies w/ simplified force)
SECTION 1630.2.2:	Structure Period
SECTION 1630.5:	Vertical Distribution of Force (non-simplified) (still
applies w/ simplified force)
SECTION 1630.9:	Drift
SECTION 1630.10:	Story Drift Limitations
SECTION 1631:		Dynamic Analysis
and the Maximum Inelastic Drift (Delta M) shall be equal to .01*Story
Height

That's it. All other stuff still applies like redundancy, overstrength
for collector design, and you design for 20% higher forces. I feel that
if you design your buildings for a 20% higher force and your competitors
spend an extra day or two doing calcs, your clients will gradually go
elsewhere. I feel that engineering fees are nothing compared to
construction costs. I recommend (not that I'm some authority) to do the
extra calcs, save your client some money, and you'll also know the code
a little better. If your buildings cost 20% more than the competition,
you'll lose.

My 2 cents

Gerard Madden
CRJ Associates