Re: Plwd: Rigid Diaphragm Analysis - Opinions Wanted

In a message dated 7/13/99 1:32:59 PM EST, Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

<< Dennis -

 We are using the "Simplified Static" per Section 1630.2.3, as allowed by
 Section 1629.8.2, which limits the types of buildings to which it applies.
 The Simplified Static raises the load by a factor of 3.0 / 2.5 as per
 equations (30-11) vs. (30-5) for Regular Static for a small building.

 In return for the heavier loads, you are absolved from complying with a
bunch
 of the other code sections as noted in 1630.2.3.4.  Most of these deal with
 the deflection requirements.  This is the approach we are taking.

 Let me know what you think.

 Bruce

You still would have to perform the rigid diaphragm analysis would you not?
Or if we are not checking deflection, then we don't know if the diaphragm is
rigid, therefore we don't have to do the rigid diaphragm analysis?

Michael Cochran