RE: Plwd: Rigid Diaphragm Analysis - Opinions Wanted

The omega factor applies to collector elements which is 2.8 in most
cases. There is an exception in the code section that states that this
force is limited by the amount of force the system can deliver or resist
which may be less than the 2.8 factor. Example, for wood diaphragms,
they are expected to yield at 2x their allowable capacity (according to
Ron Gallager in a report on recommended tilt-up building wall anchorage
upgrades) and this would limit the design to an increase less than the
Omega factor. In the Vol I seismic design manual, they state that
overturning of a shearwall also can limit the force developed in
collectors. This makes sense ... once the wall starts to overturn... the
force goes somewhere else. This can greatly reduce the collector design
when compared to the Omega Factor. I design my shear walls for the Rho
(redundacy) times the working stress shear in that line and design the
hold down. Then I back calculate the shear that can be withstood using
the hold down capacity. It has worked out well and always governed so
far in the 3 buildings I have done using 1997 UBC.

The redundacy is not effected by the short period clause ... It still
must be check and is a pain.

As far as the Vertical & Horizontal earqthquake loading ... it is my
interpretation that they do not occur simultaneously in ASD but do occur
at the same time when using LRFD. I do think more examples are warranted
on this. For example, In Seismic Design of Building and Bridges (one of
the recommended texts in the back of Seismic Design Manual Vol I) the
tilt-up wall panel example does not include the vertical earthquake
component even though it is designed using concrete strength design. It
appears that any load combination containing E in strength design is
where this applies. Also, the 0.85 D overturning load combination is not
clearly referenced anymore. It would seem that this is one important
place where the vertical earthquake component could be a problem. Since
most overturning analysis was previously done with working stress loads,
it makes for confusing practice to keep switching from working stress to
strength design depending on what you need to check.

My 2 cents

Gerard Madden
CRJ Associates
Design Engineer, Structural Department