Torque vs. Tension in Bolts

Can someone tell me a rule-of-thumb formula or another method to convert
the torque value placed on a bolt to the tension value.  I had a formula
that a mechanical engineer gave about 10 years ago that I have now
aparently misplaced and it is something I don't recall ever seeing in a
text book.  I do read, however, in the AISC Connections book that any
published method of conversion is not acurate.

My situation is for the use of expansion anchor bolts in concrete to
connect a wood plate (sill or ledger).  The wood will crush before the
required torque is achieved without a plate washer.  I want to determine
just how big these plate washers need to be but need to convert torque
value to do this.

Do others call out plate washer sizes in details, use more expensive epoxy
anchors, or is this something that gets ingnored and the anchors are not
always installed properly?
Thanks in advance.

Peder Golberg, PE
Portland, Oregon