Re: Torque vs. Tension in Bolts

Thomas, you're correct about the anchor names I got wrong. I only added in
the brand example as an afterthought, and in haste got the names reversed.
Sorry. Thanks for alerting the list.

I note that the maker claims superior shear value for this particular sleeve
anchor, and besides, it presents a smooth, full diameter surface to the hole
in the wood plate, rather than presenting thread tips that will crunch into
the wood and permit more shear wall sliding drift.

That extra sliding drift (more gas on the fire) just might tip the relative
drift ratios between shear walls and diaphragm across the 50 percent line,
and thereby turn a "flexible" diaphragm "rigid" and invalidate the chosen
design procedure. I don't personally care, but any post-permit inquisitors
might make quite a crime of it. The 2000 IBC newly draws a mandatory
either/or distinction in this flexible vs. rigid business, with no gray
area, and forces a tributary diaphragm span distribution method on the
flexible version.  I posted a lot on this, early on 6/1/99, and my dismay
and embitterment expressed therein has not gone away, nor were my points
answered so as to stand revealed as incorrect in any particular.

-C.G.