Re: Wood: 'en' and Plywood question.

Dennis:

Re point 1):  YES
I assume you mean demand, not capacity.  I agree with
your math, and I will just put it another way so that we
are both on the same page:  If v is the shear in plf, and
you have plywood one side with nails at 6" oc, the force
per nail (demand) is:
V=(v pounds/foot)*(6 inches)/(12 inches/foot)
= v/2 pounds per nail [same as your v*(6/12)].
If you have plywood two sides with nails at 6" oc each
side, AND THE TOTAL DEMAND IS STILL v, then
the force per nail is
V=(v pounds/foot)*(6 inches)/(12 inches/foot)/(2 sides)
= v/4 pounds per nail per side [same as your v*(6/24)].

Re point 2):  I always specify 15/32" or 1/2" 5-ply (struct I).
I believe that the G values are the same for 15/32" and for
1/2", and also I believe there is not a difference in the code
tables between 5-ply and 3-ply sheets.  Many engineers do
not specify Struc I, and VERY few specify 3/8".  A previous
post on this topic indicated that for OSB one should use
plywood values.  So, in summary, I think you would only
have 2 values that are typically applicable:  1/2" Struc I
and 1/2" CDX.  I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions.

Mark Swingle, SE
Oakland, CA