Re: Plwd: Rigid Diaphragm Analysis - Opinions Wanted

Thanks Mark - I appreciate the help and think that most of us who are
struggleing through this will also.
One thing that came up in the creation of the spreadsheet that may throw a
few engineers who are not paying attention (I certainly was not) has to do
with diaphragm deflection analysis. The first and second terms are
derivitives of the typical beam deflection analysis. Some of us (I assume
others have had this problem although I might be the only one) will
interprete the term ' v ' in the formula:
5 v L^3 / (8 E A b)  as the shear applied across the span and may in fact
compare this term to the load applied uniformly due to wind. The two are not
the same and will yield incorrect comparisons.
The term ' v' used in the formula is the unit shear per depth of diaphragm -
not per width of diaphragm. I missed this since I was thinking that the
formula was looking at the deflection between supports rather than attempting
to convert the unit shear through the diaphragm back into a uniform
distributed load between the supports.

This became evident as I tried to compare wind to seismic and the ' v ' term
increased as the span ( L ) changed.

Whoops - this is why it is very important to understand where these terms
have been derived from. To all of you who have the spreadsheet - be alert to
this and remember, it is only a beta version which needs you help to find the
problems.

Regards,
Dennis

In a message dated 7/14/99 11:36:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,