Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Wood: 'en' and Plywood question.

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In a message dated 7/15/99 1:40:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, 
mswingle(--nospam--at) writes:

<< Re point 2):  I always specify 15/32" or 1/2" 5-ply (struct I).
 I believe that the G values are the same for 15/32" and for
 1/2", and also I believe there is not a difference in the code
 tables between 5-ply and 3-ply sheets.  Many engineers do
 not specify Struc I, and VERY few specify 3/8".  A previous
 post on this topic indicated that for OSB one should use
 plywood values.  So, in summary, I think you would only
 have 2 values that are typically applicable:  1/2" Struc I
 and 1/2" CDX.  I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions.
 Mark Swingle, SE
 Oakland, CA >>

Thanks again, Mark. I notice there is no longer a value indicated for 1/2" 
panels in either 23-II-H or 23-II-I. The G values vary by group species as 
well as between Structural I and Structural II grades which is referenced to 
table 23-2-J that I assume is in Volumn III of the UBC (Standards).
The other differences have an effect on diaprhagm panel deflection values for 
effective thickness and this varies by thickness, grade and panel face finish 
(sanded or unsanded) which is found in table 23-2-H.
My main reason for asking the second question was so that I could limit my 
spreadsheet program to the most widely used panels rather than try to cover 
every panel made. "Simplfy, Simplify, Simplfy" (Wasn't this said by H. D.