From: Brian K. Smith <smitheng(--nospam--at)dos.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:08 PM
Subject: Moment Connections

I currently have a project under construction in which some of the beams were shipped short.  The beams are framed into the flange of W section columns with a shear tab connection and full pen flange to flange welds.  The shear connection worked fine but the root opening on the flange/flange weld was about 1 1/2".  The steel fabricator proposed two options:  1) Build-up the beam with weld metal and then make the final weld to the column flange, or 2) install a short plate matching the beam flange and use two full pen welds.  I allowed option 2.

The contractor called today and stated that the inspector (owner contracted, not city) showed up on site and said he was not going to approve the moment connections.  I asked the contractor if the welds failed and he said that the inspector only looked at a drawing of the fix and said it would never pass.

Before I jump on this guy, I need to know, did I blow a code requirement????  The code is 94 UBC, Earthquake Zone 0, wind 70 mph.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.