Re: 3x plates--drywall, studs, nails

At 09:34 PM 6/30/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/30/99 7:06:34 PM EST, smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com writes:
>
><< Within the last few months I have heard contractors mentioning that the
use
> of 3x sill and top plates is causing quite a problem with shrinkage, as much
> as 1/4" per 2-1/2" plate thickness. The problem being that "dry" 3x material
> is "not available". If this is in fact true, then it might help if we remind
> the suppliers of the UBC requirements and that 3x material is in demand. Any
> thoughts?

MORE THOUGHTS ON 3X  PLATES FROM SOME OF OUR LOCAL CONTRACTORS:

Studs generally come in 92 1/4" lengths--drywall in 8' lengths-- to
accomodate an 8' plate height.  Now, the plate will be 1 to 1 1/2" higher.
How do the framers/drywallers deal with this?  Does the lumber yard now cut
down all the studs prior to delivery?

How do you use a nail gun to build a wall with 3X plates--the 16d's that
fit the guns won't work anymore.  Are they "hand" nailing the plates to the
walls now?

Debby Hight
Triad/Holmes Assoc.
P.O. Box 1570