Re: Wood: 'en' and Plywood question.

In a message dated 7/15/99 6:41:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
quinnair(--nospam--at)email.msn.com writes:

<< My point was that in a multitude of racking tests, I never observed a nail
 to fail in shear.  The nails pull out, while flexing back and forth.  The
 holes in the sheathing wallow.  Nail heads pull through the sheathing.  But
 I have never seen a nail fail in shear under the racking condition.  Maybe
 if the sheathing were a steel plate?

 Pat Quinn
 Henderson, NV >>

I would agree that it is rare to see failure in the bolt when the material
most likely to yield will be the weakest - ie, wood. Therefore, the problems
associated to nail bending, besides affecting shearwall deflection can
contribute (with all other terms under consideration) to a walls failure by
tearing the head of the nail through the panel edge. APA has plenty of
photo's showing nail deformation (bending) at the point of failure (at
ultimate load).

I lost track of the question that led to your response. Therefore, if this
comment is not relevant, please let me know what your point refers to.

Dennis