From: "Brian K. Smith" <smitheng(--nospam--at)dos.net <mailto:smitheng(--nospam--at)dos.net> >
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org> >
Subject: Moment Connections

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BECED3.52A97090

I currently have a project under construction in which some of the beams
were shipped short.  The beams are framed into the flange of W section
columns with a shear tab connection and full pen flange to flange welds.
The shear connection worked fine but the root opening on the flange/flange
weld was about 1 1/2".  The steel fabricator proposed two options:  1)
Build-up the beam with weld metal and then make the final weld to the column
flange, or 2) install a short plate matching the beam flange and use two
full pen welds.  I allowed option 2.

The contractor called today and stated that the inspector (owner contracted,
not city) showed up on site and said he was not going to approve the moment
connections.  I asked the contractor if the welds failed and he said that
the inspector only looked at a drawing of the fix and said it would never
pass.

Before I jump on this guy, I need to know, did I blow a code requirement????
The code is 94 UBC, Earthquake Zone 0, wind 70 mph.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.

Maybe I was not clear.  What I allowed was a plate the exact
dimensions of the beam flange (thickness and width), with a full pen weld to
the beam flange and a full pen weld to the column flange.  Somewhat of a
beam flange extension if you will.

        Brian K. Smith, P.E.

Dave
Dchilton(--nospam--at)ch2m.com <mailto:Dchilton(--nospam--at)ch2m.com>
(907) 276-6833 ext. 205
(907) 277-9736 (fax)