From: Chilton, Dave/ANC [mailto:DChilton(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 1999 12:52 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Moment Connections

How can you possibly have room to make two full penetration welds in
1½"?
It would take a very thin plate that would get consumed in the process
in
the HAZ.  This would not meet AWS anyway.  It seems to me the best
option is
to provide cover plates with a double fillet weld to the column flange
and
sized to allow fillet welds to the beam flange.