Re: Moment Connections

I missed the original posting of this, but it appears you need to bridge a
1.5" gap for a moment connection of a flange.  Could you weld a 1.5" plate to
the flange of the column at each of the beam flanges.  You could weld it all
around and then connect the beam flange to it.  There would be one at each
beam flange and the plate would be wider than the thickness of the beam
flange.

I am not sure how many beams you would have to retrofit, but one thing I
would consider in order to satisfy whoever the "powers that be" are, would be
to cut the flange back a foot or so and then weld a new piece on.

I realize this is just an extension of the adding on an 1.5" plate option,
but maybe the person that is criticizing your current options will buy off on
this.  I think the main thing they dislike is the shortness of the extension
plate.

I would not use the weld metal buildup option, but would try this cut-back
method and see if it would fly.   Again, I do not know whether you are
talking about 1 beam or a hundred beams.

Just some thoughts, not sure if I got the true gist of this thread.

Ron Martin