Re: Question about Modified Westergaard's formulae

NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Look for , "Stresses in Concrete Pavements Computed by Theoretical Analysis"
> by H.M Westergaard, printed in "Public Roads" published by U.S. Department of
> Agriculture, Bureau of Public Roads, Vol. 7, No. 2, 1926.
>
> I don't have a copy, but it is referenced in Roark's "Formulas for Stress and
> Strain".  Roark adapts Westergaard's formulas in the section on flat plates.
> The 6th edition was published in 1989 by McGraw-Hill, the author of the 6th
> edition is Warren C. Young.
>
> Roark's use of Westergaard's method seems to be for structural flat plates.
> My interpretation of your request is that you are looking for an analysis
> method for a plate on an elastic foundation, as an extension of Terzaghi's
> beam on an elastic foundation analysis.  Someone else may know of a good
> foundation analysis text that covers that.
>
> Nels Roselund
> Structural Engineer

PCI has a nice program called PCMATS for mat foundations which can model
concrete slabs on (spring) elastic foundations.  The springs have
compression only, and the program proportions reinforcing nicely with
graphics output of settlement/deflection, moments and reinforcing
quantities.  Color printer works best.  Not cheap, unless you have
repeated use for the program, however.

Laurence Oeth, P.E.