Re: Douglas Fir vs. Hem Fir

Anand Nene writes:
"I also know that P.T. mud sill specified on the job is invariably Hem fir."

PT Douglas Fir is readily available in the East Bay at least one major
supplier of framing materials to contractors (and I'm not talking about Home
Depot).  I'm sure other reputable suppliers also carry it.  When I saw it,
there was 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 3x6, and 3x8 in PTDF, with the grade stamp and AWPA
stamp right on them.

One major problem with PTDF is that the treatment does not penetrate more
than about ½" into the material.  All cut ends and bolt holes need to be
field-treated to provide protection from fungus and insects.

Regarding allowable stress properties, consult the NDS for the differences
between Hem Fir and Doug Fir.

Mark T. Swingle, SE
Oakland, CA