Re: Plywood use reply (Rigidity and Stiffness).

Normally, I would agree with you. In the case of the new code, I am not sure
that that isn't what the code writters are suggesting. The goal appears to be
to equalize the stiffness of all shear-resisting elements so as to minimize
torsion in the diphragm. This means balancing shearwalls in adjacent grid
lines so that they will deflect as close as possible to each other.
The new code also requires the walls in a common line of shear to be designed
by rigidity - implying that the stiffer wall may actually take all of the
force at the onset of loading and then transfer shear once the stiffest
element yeilds. This implies too that each wall in a grid line should be the
same stiffness. Unless the walls have the same aspect ratio, the only way to
get them to the save stiffness is to work with their sheathing, nailing (size
and spacing) or increase the stiffness of the chords and holddowns.
In the past, I would have said you are right, but am no so sure that this is
in keeping with the intentions of the new code.

Regards,
Dennis

In a message dated 7/20/99 3:29:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,