Re: Foundation A.B. Capacity

Jake, here is some comments:

1. Typically, the concrete will fail before the steel does. I am not sure
what type of foundation you have, but the deeper the embedment, the larger
the cone (concrete cone failure). If you are considering a stem wall for a
raised foundation, your capacity should not (in my opinion) consider the stem
as helping to resist the tension. I would develop the capacity in the footing.

2. This generally means designing the footing of the all to resist bending so
as to distribute enough load into a rectangular foundations to allow for
sufficient concrete to act as a "deadman" before failing as a beam.  Although
this is starting to get a bit beyond my talents (since I would have created a
deeper deadman type resistance for the anchor) I would assume that you can
use the stem of the foundation wall and model the foundation as a "T" section
in bending.

3. Of course, the one thing that may help the foundation in bending is the
bearing on the stemwall to compensate for the uplfit (tension) on the panel.
In my experience, I have designed the foundation as a simple rectangular
footing with sufficient mass to compensate for the tension. I tend to
disregard more elaborate design at the edge of a bearing wall where the
foundation is continuous and enlarge foundations at corners or extend them
far past the walls at each end where they occur within the interior of the
buildings.

Sorry I could not be more specfic as to design considerations.

Dennis

In a message dated 7/20/99 5:26:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,