Re: HSS Section designation

I have been using the "HSS" designation on plans from the time the HSS
Connections Manual was being produced and have received no complaints
about either the callout or the section availability.

As far as I know, all ERW sizes are available in mill quantity. Some
sizes might be limited at your local steel service center.

Keep in mind that HSS members are those that start out as flat strip or
"skelp" and are cold-formed to shape. Pipe is still available in A53.

Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
Member AISC Manual Committee