From: Paul Feather [SMTP:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 5:41 PM
To: rbenson; SEAOC List
Subject: HSS Section designation

 << File: body.htm >>

On recent projects I have switched to specifying pipe and tube sections
by
the HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural Sections -
Connections
Manual"

The response I am getting from the fabricator and their suppliers is
mixed,
but typically they are not familiar with the new designations and/or the
specified sections are not readily available.

What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections and designations?
 Should
we be using the HSS designations or not?  Is the material in the manual
available or a premium item?  What is AISC's position?  Is anyone else
using
the HSS designation, and with what result?

Paul Feather P.E.